Drama in education Coloring our lessons
The frontal teaching method is still quite common in the educational system. This teaching method in most cases ignores the students’ personal needs, interests, personalities and skills. In the 21st century it is essential to meet the individual needs of our students and teachers.There is a need to use cooperative teaching techniques. Drama techniques are fundamental to the success of teaching, that is why we foster a supportive classroom atmosphere and find practical ways of implementing interaction and cooperation in our classrooms.Our goal was to enhance the cooperative techniques by facilitating the methods of drama education in our organisation.
To achieve our goals we organized a group for teachers who were open and wanted to try out and drama techniques in the classrooms. Despite the fact that we teach different subjects we are looking for opportunities to integrate drama in our teaching and willing to experiment interdisciplinary areas to develop our students’ skills and competences. If we do not separate the different subjects it may help our students in deeper understanding and discover global knowledge.
By planning, participating and sharing the project with the teaachers, our institution gained experience and resources that improved our teaching skills, collaboration techniques and integration of different fields.
The findings were introduced to our colleagues and we attempted to promot drama technics by inviting the interested colleagues into our classrooms and shared the applicable outcomes. We managed to implement the method in our school and used these methods in our curriculum and shared our lesson plans with our colleagues to improve our own and our school’s teaching practice. We are open to find out the hindering obstacles and adapt the program according to our school’s needs and specialties.
To accomplish our goals, it is essential to learn more about the different practices throughout the different countries of the European Union. We are convinced that cooperation with other countries will improve the effectiveness of our project among our students and our colleagues.
This project provides the opportunity to:
- decrease the students’ unsuccessfulness
- develop both teachers’ and students’ cooperation and problem solving skills and improve their presentation skills
- adapt innovation in our methods in order to prepare our students for the challenges not just academically but for real life: to prepare them for work, social life and for their role in the community
- reduce the discrepancy between the students’ actual knowledge and abilities
- in our pedagogical methods we prefer student centered methods
- provide safe and friendly learning environment based on human rights and values
- implement practices and experiences from other countries of the European Union and use their knowledge in our everyday teaching practice. Furthermore we plan to use the collected information outside of the classroom situations as well to develop our students interpersonal, linguistic and social skills
- present the diversity of the European Union
- improve our language competences (English)
The schedule of the project:
- 2015.06.01. preparation for the program, organize presentations, CVs upload them, preparatory course
- 2015. 08.17-26. Teacher Training Course on Drama in Education-Holistic Approach to Teaching with Drama Techniques in Lovran
- 2015.09.01-2015.11.01 Share our experience with our colleagues. Implement it in our curriculums and find ways to use it in different subjects
- 2015.11.01-2016.05.01 Prepare lesson plans and try them out in our own teaching practice
- 2016.01.05-2016.04.01 Workshops and teacher cooperation
Our school provided a nurturing environment where our multicultural experience encouraged the teachers’ professional development and eventually the next generation will be more prepared for living as mature citizens of the European Union. We have been promoted and are planning in the future the cooperation between different countries in the EU by using the ERASMUS+ KA2 project.